Friday, April 10, 2015

101 things about me

1. I honestly can't believe I'm 18. I can't be an adult yet! There's no way!
2. I wish I knew how to play guitar.
3. A lot of people describe me as "unique.' I'm still trying to determine if that's a compliment or an insult.
4. My first pet was a white cockatiel named Pearl, and she was the best bird ever.
5. I had another bird after her named Butters. He was an asshole.When he somehow got out of his cage on the back porch and flew away, I felt very little remorse. I did, however, feel remorse for not feeling remorse. 
6. My pet right now is a dog who looks like a tiger. He's named Sailor Jerry, and is my best friend and I love him more than I love most people.
7. I wish it was socially acceptable to run barefoot through the mud and the rain...
8. ...but that's never stopped my from doing it before, anyway. 
9. I absolutely hate being in a crowd. 
10. My djembe is my baby, and I feel better in a crowd or social situation when she's with me, which she often is if I've been performing or practicing.
11. I think my hobby of playing with and breathing fire fulfills some deep-seated desire from my childhood to be a fire-bender.
12. I have a temper like you would not believe.
13. But I'm also very good at reigning it in, much to the benefit of all.
14. Unless I didn't have coffee that day. In that case, watch out. I'm addicted to coffee and I'm absolutely worthless without it, not to mention extra-mean.
15. I really want a pet snake.
16. I love singing and I'm really good at memorizing lyrics.
17. I have trouble leaving instrumental pauses out of a song when I'm singing. So I end up going through the instrumental part in my head and people just have to deal with the resultant long awkward pauses.
18. Somehow, I both hate and love wearing dresses.
19. My bestfriend and I have a pact that only one of us is allowed to be in prison at a time.
20. When I get married, I'm using the phrase "I promise that for the rest of my life you will be my one phone call" in my vows. It's from The Simpsons. And I think that's beautiful.
21. At any given location in my room, there is always at least one knife within easy reach.
22. My last knife count totaled at somewhere around 20, give or take...
23. And I don't think 20 is nearly enough. I feel about knives the way other women feel about shoes.
24. I'm the same way about books. There are stacks all over my room because my bookshelf is crammed full. I'm pretty sure I'll die smothered in a pile of books if there's ever a minor earthquake or if I want to read something on the bottom of a stack... 
25. One of my close friends calls me Madam North because I'm such an ice queen. 
26. Bad grammar makes me more mad than just about anything. Especially the differences between they're, there, and their. Your vs. you're also angers me immensely, as does the use of alot. ALOT IS NOT A WORD.
27. My favorite time signature is 15/16. 
28. My favorite major chord is D.
29. There was a long period in my life where I inexplicably refused to put dressing on my salads. 
30. I always have a notebook and a pen in my purse.
31. I'm a lifelong vegetarian and I think I probably always will be.
32. When I'm stressed, I bake.
33. Then I stress eat what I stress baked. It's a very convenient coping method. 
34. The thing that pisses me off more than almost anything else, including bad grammar, is when someone sees a pentacle, such as the one I wear as a necklace, and they automatically assume it's a symbol of the devil and that I probably sacrifice cute animals to Lucifer. Educate yourself. Or ask me, and I will educate you. But don't be an ignorant, assumptive bigot. 
35. For my 16th birthday my older brother gave me a flame thrower, which I keep handy in my closet.
36. I shoot a primitive weapon called an Atlatl in an ISAC competition once every year, and I'm pretty dang good.
37. When I was learning to shoot Atlatl, my little band of friends and I named our target, which was a baby mammoth painted onto a piece of carpet. We each picked a name and used the initials to title him B.A.G.M.E. 
38. A great part of my childhood was spent watching my older brother and his friends playing video games.
39. I tried being normal once, just to see what all the hype was about. I got bored and went back to being a pirate. 
40. My friend has a flying squirrel, and it's adorable and I want one, but I'm afraid if I got one as well as a snake, the flying squirrel may disappear. 
41. My friend and I have a running joke that, as a pirate captain, I commandeer a ship called Madness. Long story. She can sail through the seas, through the skies, across the land, and through time and space, and is apt to appear in many different forms, much like the TARDIS before it was broken and stuck as a blue police box.
42. In honor of my ship, we have christened my kayak Madness as well. 
43. I am more at home on the river than anywhere else.
44. My bestfriend's nickname for me is Blue Lightning. 
45. I love mornings but I hate getting up for them.
46. My favorite flowers are daffodils and lilacs.
47. I have a sign on my door that says "Here There Be Dragons."
48. I hold a strong belief that there is only one time and place for decaf coffee: never, and in the trash.
49. I once lost a throwing knife in someone's back yard. 
50. I'd give almost anything to know what the heck they thought when they found it in the morning.
51. I consider myself lucky if I get over 10 hours of sleep total during a week.
52. I love traveling with my dad. We just listen to music and sing the whole time, and it's awesome.
53. I used to be scared by deep water, but now I love the open ocean.
54. I fear car crashes. It's one of the only things I fear.
55. When I can't sleep I like to sit on the tiny patch of roof outside my second story window. It's not dangerous at all, I promise.
56. People have compared my sense of humor and personality to Kurt Vonnegut's. 
57. I think they meant it as an insult, but I totally took it as a compliment. 
58. I talk to myself a lot.
59. It typically takes me less than 10 minutes to get ready, no matter what the event.
60. Top Gear is my favorite show. British, not American. American Top Gear is unworthy of the name.
61. My favorite pick-up line is, "If I were any element on the periodic table, I'd be protactinium. That way I could always be next to U."
62. T.R. Tolkien is my favorite author of all time. 
63. Intelligence in the people I consider my friends is very important to me. If I can't hold an intelligent conversation with someone there's no way I'll be able to form any kind of relationship with them beyond "casual acquaintance."
64. Even though I'm a total stickler for grammar I misuse commas all the time. 
65. I am the Grinch. Christmas is my least favorite time of year and I detest Christmas music and shows.
66. I want so many tattoos. 
67. I don't have any social media site other than a Facebook, and a Google+ account, but that's only cause I had to set up one when setting up my Chromebook.
68. I'm horrible at offering advice, but I will always be the first to offer someone a listening ear, comfort, or a sarcastic comment. Whatever's needed.
69. I am that jackass that will tell you what you need to hear, never what you want to hear.
70. My bestfriend and I refer to the word "morals" as "the 'M' word" and treat it like the most grievous of swears.
71. At least 30% of my personality is bad puns.
72. If you can't tolerate my bad puns, we probably can't be friends.
73. I would love to be able to fly.
74. Once upon a time, my happy-go-lucky dog, who has not a violent bone in his body, growled super deep in his throat at some guys who were cat-calling me while I was walking him. It absolutely terrified them and it was awesome.
75. In the last dream I had, my bestfriend and I went to Wonderland and captured the Jabberwocky.
76. Speaking of which, I have the entire Jabberwocky poem memorized.
77. I love reciting it under my breath in random places around people I don't know or don't know well, just to freak them out. 
78. If that doesn't convince you that I hate being around people I don't know what will.
79. One thing I really want to witness is the Aurora Borealis. 
80. I really miss my friends from my childhood, but I don't think I could be friends with them now.
81. Nature is my religion and the Earth is my temple. 
82. Misuse of the word "literally" makes me figuratively insane. 
83. One of my favorite places to be is in my hammock out in the woods with the wind rocking me and the gentle sun streaming through the forest canopy above.
84. I can't stand to keep my fingernails painted for more than a day or two at a time. I always end up taking it off.
85. I have no such issues with my toenails being pained, however.
86. One time I was walking my dog after work and singing a great classic Irish folk song that just so happened to be a pretty raucous drinking song and I was walking towards a police car parked in the street, but I didn't realize it was a police car until I was walking by it and the police man was leaning out the window giving me this stern look like, "Really?" I shut up real quick, but cracked up laughing as soon as I turned a corner.
87. One day I want to visit the Shire that they built for filming the LOTR and Hobbit movies.
88. I also really want to visit Venice, and I've wanted to ever since I first read Cornelia Funke's book The Thief Lord.
89. My bestfreind wants to go to Venice too, for the same reason. It's on our list of things to do together, but we may or may not ever get to it.
90. When I say "it's on our list of things to do," I mean it literally. There's an actual list that we've been writing.
91. My ticket for prom cost more than my prom dress did.
92. Half my wardrobe used to belong to my mom. I love all her old clothing that she's given me.
93. I hate my nose more than any other part of my body.
94. Other than that, I'm fairly comfortable in my own skin.
95. One of my deepest wishes is that more girls and women were conformable with their bodies. I think it's extremely important to be okay with the way you look and comfortable in your own skin.
96. Once I became comfortable with my physical self and became less self conscious, I also became more comfortable with who I am as a person. My personality and all that, in all its weird uniqueness.
97. I cannot get lost in the forest, even in somewhere totally unfamiliar. 
98. However, I have a much harder time with my sense of direction when in a building or in the city.
99. When I was in 2nd grade, I wanted to be a paleontologist. 
100. That's not what I want to be anymore. However, ever since then, I've leaned more towards the sciences.
101. I very much doubt that anyone would be much inclined to walk towards me in a dark alleyway after reading this.


1 comment:

  1. So many great pet names! I like to name my pets after real people: Maya Angelou, Booker T. Washington, Alice Cooper.

    You also have the most interesting and unique talents: djembe, reciting Jabberwocky, fire breathing, knife throwing, flame throwing, atlatl (I saw that on the show Top Shot and none of the competitors could get the hang of it!)

    I can't imagine you with a bad temper--you seem quite serene. But I totally get it.

    I was a vegetarian for about three years and will probably return to it. It's hard when the people you live with aren't on the same page.

    #82, #86, #101... : ) : ) : ) I would say "lol" here but I never say that.

    I love your list and everything about you! You are a real treasure. Thanks, Madalyn!

    ReplyDelete