Friday, February 6, 2015

If I Were in Charge of the World

Inspired by Judith Viorst’s “If I Were in Charge of the World”


If I were in charge of the world
I’d cancel frivolous television shows,
Electronic books,
Insipid modern music, and also
Possibly the Laws of Physics.



If I were in charge of the world,
there’d be fewer city lights,
darker nights, and
brighter stars.





If I were in charge of the world
you wouldn't have hatred.
You wouldn't have jealousy.
You wouldn't have judgement.
Or “Don’t climb that building!”
You wouldn't even have unclimbable buildings.




If I were in charge of the world
a fresh baked chocolate scone
and a cup of tea would be a vegetable.
All coffee would be black,
And a person who sometimes forgot to love
and sometimes forgot to smile
would still be allowed to be
in charge of the world.



2 comments:

  1. Great word: insipid. Thanks, Madalyn. This world you've formed sounds quite lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you on many notes of your poem. I too, hate "frivolous" television shows, and the strict laws of physics. I loathe the obstruction of city lights on the natural dark sky. I believe stars and the moon should be our main source of light after nightfall. Though I know that living in a world of human beings without any hatred, jealousy, and judgment is clearly impossible, I would wish for that to be different too. Or if anything, greatly decreased. I have never scaled the wall of a building, but I am not terrified of heights so I am sure I would have the guts to do it as long as I had a support line and someone to be my partner in that exciting experience. Scones are simply wonderful, especially when paired with a cup of sweet warm tea that can open up your airway and make you feel calm and relaxed. One of the only things I slightly disagree with you about are the electronic books. I like the fact that they can take up less space and be more easily transportable, though I do understand your love of physically being able to turn each page and see how worn out it gets the more it is read. I also can not for the life of me drink black coffee. I have a really dominant sweet tooth, so when I have strong drinks like coffee I smother them with sugar, to the point where my parents can't even drink it (they are healthy food and drink addicts).

    ReplyDelete